Pages

Friday, November 3, 2017

Friday's Hunt v 4.18

Another week gone and I sometimes wonder where the time goes, but I've had a lot of projects on the go and that's been coupled with a sick rooster and other various activities so it just seems that time flies and although I want to do other blogs apart from Friday's Hunt, it seems all that I can keep up with right now!

Our prompts from Eden Hills this week are:  Starts with R, Glow and Vegetable.

Starts with R
I was away in Halifax last weekend visiting my parents and having a late celebration of my mother's birthday.  We had the wonderful opportunity to see two concerts while we were visiting.  The first was the Finnish singing ensemble Rajaton (pronounced Rye-a-ton) perform with the Nova Scotia Symphony Orchestra.  Although Rajaton is not that well known in North America, they are very popular in Finland, having been around for 20 years, and are well known for their a cappella singing.  The concert was part of the "pops" series with the symphony, and the whole concert was a wonderful mix of Abba songs with the orchestra playing the music and Rajaton singing.  It was a superb show - so full of energy!  I didn't take any photographs during the concert, but here is the page from the program.  I thoroughly recommend seeing them if you have the chance!

We also went to see O-Celli, which is an octet of cello players based in Belgium, but hailing from a variety of different countries.  I love the sound of the cello, so listening to eight cellos at once was absolutely delightful.

A bonus R item - my indoor rosemary plant is blooming.  I always had trouble keeping an indoor rosemary plant alive when I lived in Iowa, but for some reason, my experience is much better here in New Brunswick.  I have now had this one inside for over a year and it has done very well.  It does not flower often, but it suddenly decided that now was the time.  The blooms are very delicate and pretty but they do not last long.

Glow
As I mentioned last week, when I went to Knit East on October 21 and 22, the weather was amazingly warm and beautiful - most unusual for the time of year.  I sat outside a lot and here I am bathing the sun's glow in an Adirondack chair in the grounds of the hotel.  I was so lucky to have such a wonderful, sunny weekend.  I think it made me glow, too!

Vegetable
I was a member of a vegetable CSA (community supported agriculture) program this year, which meant that throughout the summer, I picked up a weekly assortment of fresh, locally-grown, organic vegetables.  We ate a lot more vegetables than usual as a result of this program, and I will definitely do it again next year.  The last pick-up is on November 14, and then I have to wait until next July before it starts again.  Our growing season starts late and is short - that's why it doesn't start until July.  One of my favourite vegetables at this time of year is the Delicata squash.  This variety is very flavourful and I might try to grow some myself next year.  If you see it in your area, give it a try!

5 comments:

Tom said...

...and who knew that there were so many varieties of squash?

Jackie McGuinness said...

We call them Muskoka chairs LOL. Sounds like a good week.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

That sounds like a good concert and I love that squash. Lovely to have fresh organic vegetables. Have a great week ahead.

Anonymous said...

Have been hardly on my blog - in between only, so I missed your Knit East, but am curious, I hope to visit your last post later in the week. A concert is always a nice event - happy you could enjoy that:)

Ralph said...

Somebody looks relaxed here! The rosemary looks lovely, but this is the first flower I'd seen...